I must say that I have never been so happy in my life to hear a world renown doctor made a small mistake. After the bronchoscopy procedure, we were told that Kayleigh was too small for a trach and she certainly could not be placed on an ET vent tube for a long time. One, the tube would cause scarring and more issues. Two, when she grows up, she is going to pull it out all the time. And three, she can never go home on it as we are not trained to put it back in and there will be no x-ray at our house to make sure it is in the right place.
Anyhow, this wrongful mistake was because the doctor thought Kayleigh was on high pressure settings, which in fact she is on very low settings. This means she could be on a normal trach as there will not be much pressure to open up those bronchial tubes. The trach could be placed in and adjusted as Kayleigh grows older and she could grow out of this bronchiamalacia that she is having in both the right and left bronchial tubes.
After our doctor took a day to speak with a well known doctor out of Cincinnati (Dr. Cotton), which is someone many of you suggested, he came to the conclusion that Kayleigh's problem could be outside the bronchial area. The next step was to do an MRA, which is very similar to an MRI, but it will look more in depth at the blood vessels that surround the bronchial tubes. This is to see if those blood vessels are swelling and pressing against the bronchial tubes, closing them when there is no pressure to keep them open.
A quick call back was made from Cincinnati deciding rather than doing the MRA, but to put a dye through the veins and look at the blood vessels with a CT-scan. This is a little less invasive because Kayleigh doesn't have to be heavily sedated like she would for the MRA.
--- intermission ---
We just got a call back from the nurse and Kayleigh is done with the CT-Scan and had no issues at all. The procedure took less than an hour, but a few hours to prep. She has to be NPO (not fed) for a couple hours before they did the scan. She is currently back in her section and satting wonderfully as if nothing ever happened. I am much happier to see that Kayleigh is tolerating these procedures much better than in the past. Her oxygen is sitting around 35% and she is awake and not crabby at all.
We are supposed to hear something, but probably not tonight. I will be sure to Twitter it (Tweet) tomorrow as soon as I hear something. I am on pins and needles for sure (I know you all are too), praying they found something minor that can be easily fixed without having to put in a trach. Please everyone say a prayer before you go to bed for our little girl and pray this hurdle will soon be jumped and we can keep moving forward to our goal of coming home and never look back.
If you have not grabbed our button from the right toolbar, please do. Add it to your blog, websites, Facebook and whatever else you can add it to. Even though Kayleigh is not on her death bed like she was a couple weeks ago, we can never stop praying each day that she makes it through each battle. The more prayers the better, so the more people who see Kayleigh's button will be intrigued to know this precious little girl who has touched the hearts of so many. Copy/paste the (html) in the box below the photo and add it your site and share it with the world so we can help bring people closer to God, to their family, and to give them hope in their own journey.
The Freemans :)