Trying to calm Kayleigh down in her swing :)
The results are in! Aimee has Grave's Disease and right now there is some medication she is going to take, that happens to NOT effect the breast milk that she is pumping for Kayleigh. At some point, Aimee and I will decide a time that is best for her to undergo the radiation iodine treatment, which will put Aimee out for a week of contact with any children because she will be radioactive (sounds crazy). It will also be a time to decide when it is right because we are not to get pregnant for 6 months after the treatment. The treatment is a pill and it practically shuts down/destroys the thyroid gland, which will then label Aimee as Hypothyroid and she will have to take medication for the rest of her life called Synthroid. The good news is, the eye enlargement issue should have taken place already if it were to happen. It may develop slowly over time, but since Aimee is not a smoker, it is not as common. Hopefully not because Aimee has this eye-phobia which would be just a sick joke for her to get some of the symptoms this disease can cause. So the good news is, it isn't a heart problem and we can all breath a sigh of relief. The bad news is, it is just one more thing on our plate to stress about and Aimee isn't happy about the guaranteed weight gain from the medication she will be taking.
Kayleigh on the other hand had quite an interesting evening, but one that we are not happy to see. I just called up there to check on her before we go to bed (1:50am) and Kayleigh had another episode. She got really worked up and was showing increased signs of agitation, so they decided to give her some medication (Ativan) to calm her down and it normally works. But, it didn't this time around and they increased her flow to 6 liters and her oxygen to 100% and she still wasn't coming down. They decided to give her some other medication (Phenobarb) on top of that and it finally knocked her out and helped her relax again. She just gets so worked up and her pulmonary pressures cause her lungs to clamp down, which in return makes it really hard to bring her sats back to normal. That is why we are so afraid of the pressure becoming "fixed" where nothing will bring those pressure down, or her running in to an infection that is so bad, her sats won't come down whether or not her pressures are "fixed" or "reactive." It is a sticky situation to be in and all we can do is pray that she doesn't run in to either of these situations.
On top of the two very large stools she had, the nurse pulled a lot of yellowish-white secretions from her throat which seemed to help calm her down too. She mentioned something to me about RSV and of course we already had them do tests for that this afternoon to see if that may be an issue. On a down note, the doctor said that if it is RSV, Kayleigh is in big trouble. He has never said "big trouble" to us before and he said it with high doubts that her pulmonary hypertension would allow Kayleigh to survive such an infection. Please God let it not be RSV!!!!
Since all the drama happened, she is currently on 6 liters still, but at 60% oxygen and it is keeping her sats in the 90's. We should get all the results back from the lab work, blood gas and RSV tests tomorrow. Please pray that this will all pass over and Kayleigh will get on the right road to recovery.
On a good note, the weight that was taken last night was true. Maybe it was fluid retention, but after her two large poops, she weighed in tonight at 4 pounds - 11.4 ounces. Woo hoo!!! Some good news for once!!! Let's keep it coming and hope for a better day tomorrow.
The Freemans :)